This is meant to be a very basic, base recipe that anything can be added to. Tofu, chicken, other vegetables, etc. I was just using things I had in house. It can be eaten warm or cold. (I wanted to try it before it cooled and it tasted good warm).
1 bunch Kale
1 cup dried lentils, cooked per directions
1 cup dry quinoa, cooked per directions
1 tbsp Olive Oil
1 1/2 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- Cook lentils according to directions and then drain. You’ll want to undercook them slightly if you want a little more crunch and less mush. (Mine were more mush but still tasted good).
- Cook Quinoa according to directions.
- Mix lentils & Quinoa together
- While Lentils & Quinoa are still warm, toss in kale. This will get it to wilt slightly
- Add remaining ingredients. I used flavored olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
http://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-recipe/spaghetti-squash-with-basil-and-creamy-cauliflower-alfredo-sauce/ This is the recipe I started with. Modifications shown below.
Things I changed/misc points:
- The original recipe makes double or possibly triple the amount of sauce you need for one spaghetti squash. I halved it below. I made the entire amount, mixed it in, and since I used a green cauliflower, it looked like split pea soup.
- One spaghetti squash makes enough for two people plus several days of leftovers.
- Original recipe has you add the garlic raw to the sauce which was over powering. I’ve moved it to be sauteed with the bell pepper, mushrooms, and onions. alternatively, you could roast the garlic and put it in. original called for 5 cloves which was too much. i reduced to three
- 1 Large organic red bell pepper (diced)
- 1 cup organic mushrooms (diced)
- 1 Small organic onion (diced)
- 1/4 cup organic fresh basil (diced)
- 3 cloves organic garlic chopped
- 1 – 2 tablespoon coconut oil or olive oil
- Parmesan Cheese (optional)
For the Sauce (cut in half from the original since there was an over abundance of sauce)
- 1/2 of a head of cauliflower
- 1 cup almond milk
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/4 – 1/2 salt (or to taste)
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (or to taste)
For the Spaghetti Squash
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1 – 2 teaspoon organic extra virgin olive oil
For the Spaghetti Squash Pasta
- Prepare spaghetti squash by cutting the spaghetti squash in half.
- Scrape out all the seeds from the inside.
- Rub olive oil on the inside of the spaghetti squash.
- Bake face down at 350 degrees for approximately 45 – 50 minutes.
- Use a fork to scrape the inside of the squash out to use as “pasta.”
For the Sauce
- Cut the cauliflower into florets and boil in a large pot for about 15 minutes or until tender, and then strain.
- Put the cauliflower, milk, nutritional yeast, salt, cayenne pepper and garlic in a Vitamix (or other high powered blender) and blend until smooth and creamy.
For the Vegetables and Assemble
- Dice the red bell peppers, onions and mushrooms.
- In a saucepan, saute the red bell peppers, onions, mushrooms, and garlic until they are tender.
- Combine the sauteed vegetables, spaghetti squash pasta and cauliflower alfredo sauce.
- Toss with fresh chopped basil right before serving.
- Optional: Top with Parmesan cheese.